Thursday, April 23, 2009

Next Step

Ok, so I went to meet with the surgeon today. I had gotten all the MRI and biopsy reports back and it was time to bite the bullet and make some decisions. What to do, what is right for me, for my husband, for my family? It is alot to consider but ultimately it boils down to what can I live with... The facts-the right boob has to go. It is the one with the tumor. As for the left-the biopsy came back negative NO cancer!! But for me that didn't change my feelings about surgery. Just the fact that they thought they saw something, and then it turned out to be nothing, can I live with that uncertainty? My answer was no. I don't want to spend the rest of my life wondering if something is going on in my body that I can't see and that I could have helped prevent if I would have just taken care of it in the beginning. So, on May 14th I will have a bilateral mastectomy. I told the doctor today she could take them both and I would have new ones put in their place. I feel very good about that decision. I can't live my life worrying, even removing both doesn't take my chances to 0% of recurrence but it greatly reduces them, enough so, that it is totally worth it to me. We will decide after surgery what if any follow up treatment is needed and then I will start reconstruction. It has been a long day and it is a lot of information to process. This is where I'm at and I have a great peace about my decision.

4 comments:

  1. YEAH! I'm SO glad the test came back negative for the other one! I love you honey! This is the first step to great things to come!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praise God! That is good news. We are all praying for you and your doctors! Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you!!!! Jana is keeping me up on everything! this Blog is wonderful - I'm checking it everyday and saying a little prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leigh, Jenny Lee gave me your blog address. We have something in common in that I started my "Journey" almost two years ago. I also had invasive ductal carcinaoma and like you opted to have both breast removed. If you want to talk call Jenny for my phone number. God bless you and we know who the Great Physician is.
    Ann Hearn

    ReplyDelete